Endless Bliss | Happy Lifestyle Blog: Motivated Mondays: Collect Moments, Not Things.

Motivated Mondays: Collect Moments, Not Things.

This quote is so empowering, especially in today's society when the world is so focused on having the best of everything - the best phone, the best car, the best clothes. When I think about the favorite parts of my life, I don't think about the most expensive pair of shoes I've ever owned or the collection of Barbies I had as a little kid. I think about...

...the first concert I ever went to (House of Blues in Myrtle Beach to see Switchfoot during my freshman year of high school) 

...when I was offered my first job promotion

...the first time I ever danced with a boy (at the middle school graduation dance)
...seeing my sister in her prom dress

...the first time I won a contest (for my D.A.R.E. essay that I got to read in front of the whole fifth grade class and their families)

...the hug my dad gave to me after I graduated from college

...the first time Jon and I said "I love you" (in my apartment after the engineering ball during our junior year of college)

When I think about moments in my life, whether good or bad, I think about the feelings I had and things I was thinking. I travel back to those moments and smile or frown or get embarrassed or laugh, like I'm living in them again. Being able to travel back to those points in time in my mind is so much more satisfying than having the newest car or the biggest TV. 

When you're out living today, and every day, don't focus on having the newest and best of everything, instead just live your life and cherish the moments that make your heart smile, the moments that will stick with you forever.


18 comments :

  1. This is such a true concept! There are so many times I wish I could sell all my stuff and just live simply and collect more moments-- like you've said-- but it's definitely easier said than done. Especially in our society that places so much value on what you have-- even more so than what type of a person you are! sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great point of view...

    Debbi

    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really eye opening. I never thought of it like that, but very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. Too often we think of the big things...those life changing moments that is the stuff of movies and tales of grandeur. However, we can't lose sight that the little things became the big things. Love this. Visiting from the Not-a-Mom-blogger FB group. So glad I did. :-)


    Kelly
    www.alovelylifeindeed.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the perspective in this post! I like my things (my house, my car, etc.) but I LOVE my memories and when we move out of our house we'll remember the holidays we celebrate there and the visits we had, not the place (or thing) itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of this post! So creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is sad! I wish I could do the same thing. It would make life so much easier. I hate that our society is getting more and more judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it inspired you! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so important to remember the moments of joy and happiness rather than focusing on having everything you want. Thanks so much for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great way to look at it - liking the things you have, but loving the memories that go along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great reminder to stop and remember what is really important in life!!! I didn't have the best of the best growing up, but the memories I made with what I had are what stick with me forever and make me look back and smile!!! And even today, I sometimes catch myself trying to keep up with the Jones' and I need to remember what's really important!! Thanks for that reminder!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I could remind you! My family wasn't rich by any means. There were so many of us, but I just remember being happy. I loved my childhood, and I still love my life today. I love making memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh Tiffany this is so true! And it couldn't have come at a better time- thank you! :)

    xo, Hima

    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad it could inspire you, Hima! :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10