Endless Bliss | Happy Lifestyle Blog: 6 Tips for Keeping Your Thick Hair Clean and Moisturized.

6 Tips for Keeping Your Thick Hair Clean and Moisturized.

head & shoulders moisture care
Glasses c/o Firmoo


I have a love-hate relationship with my hair. Some days, it looks absolutely gorgeous, but most days, I just want to cut it all off and scream. I've always struggled with my hair being dry and frizzy, which is why I was super excited to try out the new Head & Shoulders Moisture Care line. After just three washes, I was addicted, and I quickly added it to my hair care routine. 

head & shoulders moisture care


If you have thick hair like me, you may struggle with keeping your hair both clean and moisturized, particularly during winter. These are a few tips that I use to keep my hair manageable and looking its best. 

// Don't wash your hair every day.
Instead only wash it about every 2-3 days. Washing your hair every day rids it of its natural nutrients. If you only wash it a few times a week, your hair can really soak up all those great nutrients and keep your hair healthy and strong. Sometimes, I'll even skip washing my hair altogether and just condition it or use a co-wash. 

If you find your hair feeling a little dry and dull between washes, try the new Head & Shoulders Moisture Care Scalp Soother. It keeps your hair feeling hydrated and helps improve moisture balance. You can use it as often as you want, anywhere, anytime. 

// When you do wash your hair, use a shampoo and conditioner that both cleans and moisturizes your hair. 
If you have thick hair, you know how big of a challenge it can be to find shampoo and conditioner that both cleans your hair and doesn't leave it feeling dry. The new Head & Shoulders Moisture Care does just that! Head & Shoulders has a reputation of keeping hair dandruff free, and the new Moisture Care line is no exception. I hate to admit it, but I've always struggled with dandruff, and with just a couple washes with the Head & Shoulders Moisture Care Shampoo and Co-Wash, my hair was noticeably cleaner and dandruff free. The Moisture Care line is infused with vitamin E-rich almond oil and coconut essence, which left my hair feeling both moisturized and manageable. 

// Don't lather too much.
While it's easy to associate the bubbly shampoo-y lather with cleanliness, too much lather actually isn't good for your hair. The later rids your hair of many important nutrients and can leave it feeling dry. To get the most out of your shampoo, use a smaller amount of shampoo watered down for just a little bit of lather.

// Use heating tools sparingly.
Using tools like hair straighteners and curling wands make your hair more prone to damage. Try letting your hair dry naturally rather than blow drying it every day. If you use heating tools, be sure to use heat-protective spray and try to limit it to just a few times a week. 

// If you have naturally wavy or curly hair, don't brush it every day. 
To make my hair easier to manage in the shower, I brush it before I get in. With conditioner in my hair, I brush out all of my tangles with my fingers to get rid of most of the knows and help spread the conditioner evenly. When my hair is dry, I rarely ever use a brush, because it makes my hair super frizzy.

// Don't use too many products.
Using too many products can weigh your hair down. If you have thick hair like me, count yourself lucky for having a little extra volume than most people. If you use products, try to stick to just one or two at a time. My products of choice are curling cream gel and a touch-up cream to help with frizz.

head and shoulders moisture care

head and shoulders moisture care
Glasses c/o of Firmoo.


What are your favorite hair care tips?

12 comments :

  1. Using silk pillow case will help with your hair not getting knot in it. I will have to say that the best tip I have. I try to use my straighter once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dandruff issues too. I used to use Head & Shoulders because it would work really well but after a few months it would stop working and it was suuuuuper drying on my hair. I would love to hear how you still feel about this in a few months. I might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, and yay for Head & Shoulders! I'm actually running out of my bottle (I think it was "Ocean" somethin'), but I need more moisture in my life. It's so cold and dry here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I one hundred percent understand thick and curly hair problems. Until I was about 21 and decided to cut off all my hair, I hated it. Like, hated it. It made me cry every day and I never felt pretty. Chopping it off was the best decision I've ever made. Now, maintaining it is an issue. I use shampoos that don't suds at all (verbed it) and only wash it about once every five days.


    Also, where did you get that shirt because I need it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is the absolute worst time for my hair. I really do love this Moisture Care line. It's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should! I really love this stuff. My hair feels awesome, and dandruff free! I was so excited about not having any dandruff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of that! I'll definitely have to invest in a silk pillowcase. I have a huge problem with knots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my short hair now! I used to have long hair too, and I thought I liked it until I cut it all off. My shirt is from Forever 21! It's super old though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the opposite hair- limp and oily. I think your hair is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous of your hair. Seriously, it's gorgeous. And I'm right there with you on the don't wash your hair every day. I go 3-4 days without washing my hair some weeks. And then sometimes I forget to wash my hair on the day I'm supposed to. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! Thank, Nina! Washing your hair every day is such a hassle. I'm okay with forgetting every once in awhile. "Dirty" hair is easier to work with! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

09 10