Endless Bliss | Happy Lifestyle Blog: Super Easy & Delicious King Cake Recipe.

Super Easy & Delicious King Cake Recipe.



Mardi Gras season is in full swing, and I couldn't be more excited. Louisiana food is always amazing, but during Mardi Gras, it's even better because king cake. I freaking love king cake, but most places in north Louisiana only serve it during Mardi Gras season. With this recipe, I can act like it's Mardi Gras season year-round. 


INGREDIENTS



Filling
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cake
2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls

Icing
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp. 2% milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Food coloring

PREP
1// Preheat oven to 350°F

2// Mix together cream cheese, brown sugar, and cinnamon (if cream cheese is too hard, place in microwave on high for 15 seconds)

3// Place nonstick aluminum foil on a baking sheet

4// Unroll crescent rolls and separate triangles one-by-one. Overlap triangles about a quarter inch with points facing toward the center, forming an oval. 

5// Spread the filling around the crescent roll toward the center of the triangles.



6// Optional: Place a small plastic baby randomly in the filling.

7// Fold the outside of each triangle toward the center all the way around the oval then pull the point end of each triangle toward the center, closing the gap.



8// Bake 18-23 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool to room temperature.

9// Mix the powered sugar, milk and vanilla extract until fully mixed.

10// Separate icing into three different bowls.

11// In one bowl, mix in green dye. In a second bowl, mix in yellow dye. In the third bowl, mix in red and blue dye to make purple.



12// Once the cake is cooled to room temperature, cover the cake with each color of icing. 

13// Enjoy and celebrate the lovely Mardi Gras season. As per tradition, whoever gets the piece with the baby has to buy (or make!) the next king cake!




Have you ever celebrated Mardi Gras?

25 comments :

  1. Ooooh, thanks for the recipe! I've never actually celebrated it, and as I live in France I don't know how to find those crescent roll things haha, but we have a similar tradition here called the galette du roi--the French king's cake. ;) It's eaten in January, on the Epiphany, and a tiny ceramic figurine is placed inside! Not babies, anything!

    Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have family members who LOVE King Cake! Great idea for a post :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from the way north I've never heard of King Cake until I started blogging this year and got to know bloggers in the south who Mardi Gras is a big deal for. But now after reading so many posts about the glory of King Cake I know I need to try it! Since I won't be down south for Mardi Gras this year I'm really happy you gave us a homemade recipe to try Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of King Cake until this year. I'll have to make one because apparently it doesn't pop up often here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like our tradition in Louisiana! The "baby" is usually a plastic figurine, and most bakeries don't start selling them until the Epiphany to kick off the Carnival season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm first this looks delicious, second I think I could even make this. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never celebrated mardi gras. Here in German they do Fasching Which are town is celebrating it this week. It kind of like halloween. People get dressed up in costumes and mask. They have parades and throw candy out. I going to a fasching party on Saturday. Which I think will be a lot of fun. I will have what I will be wearing to in on monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me SO HAPPY you just don't even know. OMG. I have to make this since I can't go to NOLA this year!

    xx
    Allisonleighann.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my laaaanta, that looks like I could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god. That looks amazing. Although, I won't lie, I want my first time to be in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely understandable. New Orleans king cake is unlike any other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! Do it! I hope you enjoy. My boyfriend and I ate it in less than three days haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a lot of fun! I've never heard of that, but I would love to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are all sorts of different things that people put in king cakes, but I love cream cheese and cinnamon in mine. I've had strawberry and cream cheese filling too, and it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sierra, it's so, so easy to make. If I can make it, then I think anyone can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do it! It's so good! And when you can, you'll have to go to New Orleans and have the best king cake ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's one thing I absolutely love about blogging - you get to learn so much about how people lives their lives in other places in the world. Mardi Gras is huge, and I love celebrating it. I've already been to three parades in New Orleans, and I'm going to one in Shreveport this weekend. So pumped. I hope you try this recipe, because it's so delicious! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should definitely make this for them! I think they'd enjoy it! So happy you enjoyed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds similar to Mardi Gras, and it sounds like so much fun! Cresent rolls are so good, whether they're used for king cake or not. My family always has some at Thanksgiving. I'm sure there are some king cake recipes where you can make your own crust from scratch using yeast and all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We didn't end up going. Due to my husband got sick.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry! I hope he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is super cool! I always wondered what was in Kings Cake! I'll have to make this :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10