Endless Bliss | Happy Lifestyle Blog: 7 Ways to Fight the Winter Blues.

7 Ways to Fight the Winter Blues.

7 ways to fight the winter blues


Louisiana has somehow managed to (for the most part) skip winter until yesterday. It started sleeting, and the roads were horrible, and I understand that people in the north have to deal with snow and all that madness, but down south, we really don't know what to do about it. We don't expect sleet or icy roads, and when there's even a hint of it, everything pretty much shuts down. 

The icy weather has me in a bit of a funk because I feel like I should be out in the world doing things. I'm due for a phone upgrade, and I wanted to go get a new phone after work yesterday. Speaking of work, I'm working on a project, and that's been put to a bit of a halt since the sales team was sent home yesterday. I've been wanting to go shopping, and I'm never in the mood to go shopping, so I'm sure the feeling will pass. I'm also sure my bank account will be happy.

I say all that to say I need to pull myself out of it. I think two paragraphs of complaining will do. This is Endless Bliss after all. One of my favorite quotes ever is this one by Marilyn Monroe: 

marilyn monroe quote keep smiling


Here are a few ways for you to wash (or defrost) away the winter blues:

// WRITE IT OUT
What's bothering you (aside from the gross weather)? Whatever it is, get it down on paper. If you keep a journal, write it all down there. If you don't keep a journal, get out your laptop and start a Word document or get out a blank sheet of paper and let your frustrations flow out of you. You don't even have to keep the paper. You can ceremoniously delete it off of your hard drive or burn it or shred it and let the pieces fly through the wind. Whichever method you choose, writing it all out can help you feel better.

// GET LOST IN A BOOK
This is my favorite thing to do when I'm feeling blue, because getting lost in a good book is the best temporary escape from reality. Whether you choose a new book, a classic, or your faithful old favorite, take out your most comfy blanket and let yourself get lost in a book and escape from your troubles. 

// TALK TO A FRIEND
Sometimes, all we need is a good rant session. Call up your best friend or your closest sibling or your significant other or your dog and just talk it out. When I'm frustrated about something, I like to warn the person that I'm not looking for a solution; I just want to express myself. Who in your life is a good listener? Get together with them and just talk it out. You'll feel much better.

// INDULGE IN SOME COMFORT FOOD
I love to let my woes disappear with some sushi, Chinese food, or Ghirardelli milk chocolate sea salt and almond squares. Even if you're on a diet, change your cheat day if you have to. Sometimes, a little comfort food will go a long way and help you feel better.

// HAVE A DRINK
My drink of choice is a nice glass of bubbly moscato. Allow yourself to indulge in your drink of choice, whether it's hot cocoa, a fruit smoothie, vodka soda, or a reliable cup of Joe. Let the drink flow through you and feel your winter blues melt away.

// HAVE A NETFLIX MARATHON
...or just a movie/TV show marathon in general. Get lost in your favorite TV show or watch all eight Harry Potter movies back-to-back. Watch a string of comedy movies or your favorite FRIENDS episodes (that's what I'm currently doing). Watching TV is a great way to distract yourself from the frightful weather.

// SHAKE IT OFF
In true Taylor Swift fashion, shake your troubles away. Blast your favorite tunes, dance around the room, sing at the top of your lungs, and just forget about it. 

shake it off taylor swift gif

What are your favorite ways to fight the winter blues?

25 comments :

  1. You can't beat getting lost in a book or TV show. Also a nap. Sleep is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done every one of those things in the last week. Guess that's why I'm excited to clean house today haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww be grateful honestly you aren't sweating! It is getting hot in AZ already and I miss the snow sometimes(I grew up in the midwest). Just think of all the cute clothes(sweaters, boots, hats, etc) you get to wear. I have been knitting up a storm lately even though I have no reason to be making scarves and blankets ha. We are waiting in anticipation to hear if we are going to Boston mid march for work! I hope so! I guess driving in the snow is the one bad thing but, I love the comfy aspects of winter. I was actually looking into plane tickets to Chicago for this week lol. I suggest watching movies with weather you wish for...like I watch a lot of movies with snow/rain ha so you should try the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay warm. I have been doing a lot of Netflix watching the last couple of weeks. Just started watch Dr. Who.

    P.S. My blog has moved http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been snowed in for a week now and I've done all these things! I finished a book, watched several episodes of Friends, have had wine, coffee, and hot chocolate, danced a lot in my room in the shower, talk constantly to my roommates, and eat a lot. But I'm ready for warm weather and a beach. Aghhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous because I wish I was doing all of these things. Though I have watched plenty of episodes of FRIENDS because I just can't get enough, and literally every episode is funny even after you've seen each one a bajillion times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome! Everyone keeps telling me I need to watch Dr. Who, but I still haven't given it a shot. Congrats on your new URL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want warm weather! I guess I need to move to AZ! I bet it'll be too hot for me in the summer though. Louisiana summers are horrible enough. I can't imagine how awful AZ summers must be. I do love cute winter clothes. Maybe I need to take advantage of them while I still can! I wish I could knit! I can crochet, but I'm really, really bad at it. Example: https://instagram.com/p/q8BTgEn_dE/?modal=true


    I love your suggestion of watching movies with weather you wish for! I need watch some with lots of sunshine and beach lounging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know that I've ever been excited to clean haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly! I can't believe I forgot taking a nap! Naps are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! When I first started knitting all my stuff had giant human sized holes in it. A lot of my blankets/scarves/whatever were kindling for many fires. It just takes practice. I honestly taught myself watching youtube videos over and over! I learned during the summer when I was bored and hot, so maybe winter is the time to learn new things for your east coasters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we've been living parallel lives this week, because I just blogged ways to get happier on Monday! From PA to LA, I hope you're surviving the snow and making it through. You'll have to visit ME to experience true winter. (;

    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some great tips, so thanks for sharing! It's been like 30-40 below zero with windchill here in North Dakota for a while, and man does that get old quick. I've been watching lots of Netflix and reading books when I'm home in my pj's and under a blanket haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moscato? I'm with you girl. I also love spending time with my fiancé when I'm having a down day. You shouldn't ever depend on the other person in your relationship to bring you up every time you're down because that's way too much to put on them and not a healthy relationship, but he's a pretty lighthearted person and usually reminds me to focus on the positive, instead of worrying (which I'm a total pro at).


    acupoftay.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to shake AND TWIRL. I worked out TWICE when we got iced in. I did a T25 work out then I did a hula hoop video. I felt great even though I couldn't leave my home bc of the ice. I am very sensitive to bad weather and to being still. I need to move my body. :) The rest are things I have to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you think it's ok to indulge in comfort food! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're totally on the same wavelength! I would definitely love to experience a true winter in LA with snow that sticks around for more than a few hours. You'd have to drive though because ice on the roads is no joke!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! That sounds awful! I don't know if I could handle that. I just don't like the cold, and 30-40 degrees below zero...YIKES! I can't even imagine. At least you've been getting in a lot of Netflix watching and book reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's such a good point! It's always good to be happy both by yourself and with your significant other. Jon definitely brings me up when I'm feeling down, but when he's not around, I can usually find solace in a good book or a blank page.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes! That's awesome. I feel like that's what I should have been doing with my downtime. Working out. Sadly, it didn't even cross my mind. It was straight to PJs and Netflix. I bet that hula hoop video was fun! That's great that you took advantage of the bad weather to be productive and keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, yes! Comfort food is a staple no matter what the weather is :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a good idea! I should watch some YouTube videos to help me improve. I actually think next month is crochet month or something, so it's the perfect excuse to start practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your post makes me want to be in a place where I need to do all these things. Unfortunately I live in Northern California and we aren't having much of a winter! Great tips though and I am sharing with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I was in northern California! 1) I've never been and 2) I just want to be warm!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Tiffany. I finish the whole series this week.

    ReplyDelete

09 10